Thursday 10 March 2011

Ramblelicious Randomness

So, not too good, is it! Last time I posted was October. Its not as if there hasn't been plenty to write about. Problem is, as ever, finding the time. I did write a list of things I might get around to writing about a little while ago, but it is not that long and is hyperpolitcalgeekery at its best. For example, would you, Dearest Reader (there might be one of you!) be interested in my musings on the basic political dichotomies (left/ right; liberal/ conservative; statist/ market-based) and how they relate to modern British and American politics? Well?

I'm motivated to write about it as I am forever fascinated by the fact that people (i.e. the voting public) don't seem to (and why should they be expected to) know what, generally, the parties stand for. Knowing that, for example, the Tories are naturally inclined to shrink the state and are essentially ideologically opposed to state provision of things 'the market' can provide would help people realise that they should take any Tory promise about the safety of the NHS with a big pinch of salt. Last time I blogged (October 2010. I apologise.) about how many of the ongoing cuts were all about ideology, and not really about saving money, and the evidence for that just keeps coming. Tuition fees are a great example, as in the short term, they front-load more debt on to the public purse than simply leaving things alone would have done.

I guess the crux of this is that people are always saying "they [the parties] are all the same as each other", which is of course complete nonsense. There are fundamental, almost religious differences between what the parties stand for and the ideology that informs that. There are places where they will agree, and those areas may have grown since the removal of Clause 4, etc, but it is just plain wrong to think that the same decisions would have been made since last May if we had a Labour government. There are important, fundamental differences, and lots of people never really learn what they are, or get a chance to think about them (they have better things to do, right!)

I guess, the point of all of this is 'think'. There are important philosophical and moral questions in politics, and just because most media coverage is all about simple sloganeering, and the media looking for the *smallest* of differences between people in the same party, doesn't mean there is something deeper to actually consider.

- - - - -

On another note entirely, I found out today that the first Rival Schools album in 10 years came out on Monday. I love Rival Schools. I love Rival Schools so much that I bought a Rival Schools t-shirt at University and when it was so badly worn it was no longer wearable (after, like 8 years), I had my wonderful Mum make it into a Rival Schools cushion. It is *still* on the lounge sofa, despite my awesome wife's attempts to have me move it somewhere else!

Still, I raise this point 'cos 1. I am muchos kinder bueno excited about it and 2. It puts to the test my ability to be rational about things. I have explained (1), but (2) requires some further fact based exposition. For this I am going to use the wonderful mechanic of the LIST:

1. I am obvioulsy going to buy this new record.
2. I am 75% through digitizing my (stupidly large big) CD collection
3. I should just download the new album. I could then listen to it STRAIGHT AWAY!
4. But I am unsure about downloading it as I kinda still prefer CDs (Artwork! Inlay cards! These are some of life's simplest pleasures, no?)
5. However, point 4 holds even though when the CD arrives I will just upload it to my computer and my iPhone and hardly ever look at the physical copy.
6. Logically, I should simply download the new Rival Schools album RIGHT NOW!
7. It's also more eco-friendly to download it. If I keep buying physical copies of music, I am WILLFULLY DESTROYING OUR BEAUTIFUL PLANET. (This is bad, FYI).
8. But I remain unsure that I might well be happier buying the CD.
9. The same argument is currently going through my head about the new Elbow album as well (I have all the others on CD, see...)
10. At some point I accept that I will have to stop buying physical copies of music.
11. I DON'T REALLY WANT TO!!!

Anyhow. That's enough of a list. I will not make a decision now as I have, I feel, left you on the edge of your seat wondering what decision I will make. Also, I now need to post in the next few days with the EXCITING news of my decison!

WUNDERBAR!

Onwards!

Levin

No comments:

Post a Comment