Wednesday 21 July 2010

A bit of perspective...

Right, so, you’re meant to post on these things kind of regularly aren’t you…? Oops! (DANGER! I almost wrote the last sentence as ‘kind of regular’, before realising I am not American and therefore attempting to deconstruct the proper use of the English language via laziness (NB. This comment does not apply to all Americans, that would be a lazy generalisation, and I have just been protesting about laziness, and I don’t want to look like a massive hypocrite (Wow! Three sets of brackets in row who would have thought it possible?)))

Anyhoo… Jess and I have been rather busy making the house a bit less of a mess after pretty much a whole month where every spare minute has been spent in (a) the noble pursuit of sorting out the garden (some of you lucky folks will be familiar with the excitement of the #fenceweek and #slabsaturday tags on twitter) and (b) the slightly-less-noble-but-perfectly-valid-pursuit of watching a ridiculous amount of Battlestar Galactica.

To make up for my shoddy lack of posting, I should probably summarise events in the form of ‘a handy list’™ (imagine if you could actually trademark ‘handy lists’, licensing them would make you a fortune – brilliant! I may have just worked out a way to halve the deficit in four years…). However, there’s only one thing I really want to post about, so maybe you’ll get a list next time…


CRY 'London Bridges' Charity Walk 2010
On Sunday 18th July I was one of around 800 people walking along and (repeatedly!) across the Thames for the annual CRY (Cardiac Risk in the Young) 'Heart of London Bridges' Charity Walk. CRY was founded in 1995 to raise awareness of conditions that can lead to Sudden Cardiac Death (SCD); Sudden Death Syndrome (SDS, SADS). It works to encouraging greater testing of the young for a range of genetic heart conditions. There were 34 of us walking in memory of Luke Meekings, who I can still remember occasionally babysitting when he was all of 11 years old. He died just over two years ago in his mid 20s from SADS and is missed by many. It’s pretty humbling to see groups of people around you walking in memory of their grandchildren, or their sons (the conditions overwhelmingly affect men). People younger than me who just suddenly went, with no warning at all… Rather puts into perspective me moaning about not having a lot of time as I've been building a fence...

If you’ve got a few quid spare, you can donate to this excellent and worthwhile cause via: http://www.c-r-y.org.uk/

Will post again soon...

Onwards!

Levin

No comments:

Post a Comment